Why I thought my relationship wouldn't work out.

11:59 AM

Roughly four years ago, the future with my partner was uncertain and I didn't like it one bit. It wasn't that we weren't compatible or that we had problems in our relationship. It was so much more than that. You see, I was a citizen but my partner (an international student) was still holding a Hong Kong passport. We wanted to be together, and yet, we were held back by physical barriers.

Of course, we had to do something to make our relationship work out. Hence, my partner applied for PR as soon as he was eligible to do so. I spent the next few months preparing documents for the agent who was handling our case. It was so time consuming.

We had to show evidence of our relationship with this exhaustive list of documents:

01. Photos together
02. Statutory Declaration from friends
03. Lease contract
04. Phone/power bills
05. Air tickets
06. Gifts from each other
07. Cards from each other
08. Joint bank account statement

But we didn't have much evidence at the time because we didn't expect to be applying for PR one day. So to speak, our case started out really weak. Over time, we would provide updated documents to the agent, hoping that it would strengthen our case. Sadly, after two years, we received news that our application for PR had been rejected. We were extremely disheartened. I was so upset that I gave up all hope.

I told my partner that I was tired of all this uncertainty and that maybe, we just weren't meant to be together. I wanted to give up. It was such a trying period in my life.

Thank goodness he refused to listen to my nonsense, or rather, he knew that I didn't mean what I said. My partner told me that he was determined to appeal the case. So that's what we did. We paid more money for the PR visa, submitted more documents, went for an interview regarding our relationship, obtained police clearance for all the countries my partner has lived in previously, and took one more full body check-up (which cost us a whopping $300). It drained our finances dry. There were weeks where we were forced to settle with meals with rice and cans of soup. Our financial troubles was so bad that I had to shamelessly borrow money from my mum for food on some days.

It was so stressful that I began to consider giving up again. I didn't like how we had to live day by day, just to pay the fees that came with the PR application. That very day that I felt like giving up for the second time, ended up being the day that my life took a 180 degree turn. I was in the laundry area hanging out freshly washed clothes when my my partner shouted for me to come. "What? Wait. I'm almost done," I yelled. However, my boyfriend continued shouting for me, as though he didn't hear what I said. It sounded important so I decided to see what he wanted to tell me. I guess the clothes could wait.

He held up his phone and showed me this:



As soon as I read that email (forwarded to us from our immigration agent), I couldn't help but do a happy dance. It was the best news ever! It has been 6 months since we received the news. It feels surreal that we no longer have physical barriers in our relationship.

We can finally plan our future together!

Side note: Technically, my partner was meant to get a TR visa, then wait two more years for a PR. But because we waited a total of four years, they actually gave us both visas on the same day.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Labels